Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Whole Lot of Visitors Yesterday



If you follow Dayton Christian Center on Twitter, you might have known that we were going to have a very special visitor yesterday. Roland Winburn, our state representative, came to visit our West campus.

I really do not follow politics at all. Sure, I support Obama. But, I am not interested to know what most people think I should about all of that political stuff. I am pretty sure Mr. Winburn is a big deal though. (I wonder if he has leather bound books and his apartment smells of rich mahogany?) Even though he is a bigwig, he was not the star of the show...


We had a lady (Julie? I'll go with Julie.) come and visit us with ANIMALS from the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery. All of the kids that were around got to sit and watch Julie put on quite a performance. Everyone but the smallest children were able to pet all of the animals. I'll do a quick recap.

Fat-tailed Gecko
-> It was pretty tame. It stores fat in it's tail for use when starved. Like human's bellies.
Constrictor Snake -> It is native to this part of Ohio, but it goes after mice and was not poisonos.
Madagascar Hissing Cockroach -> The little guys hisses when it's scared. It must not have been very scared, but I think a few adults hissed at it.
Ring-Neck Dove -> Cool fact - they mate for life. Meaning when one dies, the other one never mates again.
Oppossum -> It did not play dead. It seemed the most calm of all the animals in fact. It was double the average life expentacy at a full 4 years old. It kind of freaked me out because it stores fat behind it's eyes, and since it was old and fat the eyes were bulging with veiny fat behind them. Mmmm thanks for that Eric. Also, Julie asked the audience what other kinds of animals are nocturnal. Bob's son replied "college students". Smart Kid.


-Eric

No comments: